Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday in pictures

Because I'm chronically short on time, I decided to do something simple for the cancer fundraising afternoon tea this afternoon. I figured Arrowroot biscuits with icing and smiley faces would be quick and easy. I figured this because I'm an idiot. As soon as I started the faces I remembered that this process always takes forever. To add to the drama, the "writing icing" I had on hand had departed this world in its original form, and I needed to come up with some other way to do the smiles. I'm in no way convinced that my improvisation passes any test at all. However, I wasted the middle of my day to produce this.

I have no idea what these things are, but the kids seemed to decide they were entirely edible.

This exercise was clearly a waste of time and effort, but I felt morally justified, because on Monday I spent the entire day re-arranging my kids' rooms. By the end of the day I was very sore, but all the toys from the lounge room had been absorbed into the kids' rooms, unnecessary toys had been purged and Elissa finally had toys in her own room. The carpet was even vacuumed. This alone is not why I was feeling morally superior, this is why I was feeling morally superior.



This is what the kids' rooms looked like this morning, a full four days after my work. You'll notice there is floor. You'll also notice I'm not so invested in made beds. This is hardly Beautiful Homes and Gardens, but it is tidy. It turns out that a complete reset of the rooms, along with 5 minute clean up every night does enable tidy rooms. The only problem is that missing a couple of 5 minute clean ups means the need for a reset again. That would be fine if I could manage that reset more often that every 18 months. But until the routine hits its next breakdown point (guaranteed to be within the next month), I shall be smug in the knowledge that I am a Superior Parent.

Today also marked the return of the sun after a very soggy week. This led, in due course, to a night with a visible moon. I was so excited I took a photo.


It's ok, you're not obliged to share my excitement.



1 comment:

  1. Oh I like a good 'tidy up' story. Ditto on sweet treats.

    ReplyDelete