Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Maternity leave is over

Today was quite the adventure. We managed to secure a job with the RTA, which is quite a coup, being well out of our traditional market. Unfortunately, we secured it 3 days before I gave birth. To balance up the luck, one of their suppliers was late and pushed the job back to today rather than last Thursday.

So today I had to be at Yennora at 8am to work in an electrical workshop for an indefinite period of time. Thankfully I have a wonderful husband who came with me and the baby and looked after her between feeds, and added technical advice on occasion. What more can you ask for?

Who says sexism is a huge problem? I was in one of blokiest places I've ever been, and they were more than helpful and understanding with the baby being there, and with the feeding. Not a single snide remark about Dad looking after bub either. I'm not denying there are problems out there, but it seems that in the 10 years I've been in the telco industry, the assumption that I am not technical by virtue of being female has faded, and involved, enlightened fathers are becoming more and more prevalent (dare I say "the norm"?).

Oh, and of course this is much needed income. So all in all, a really good experience, even if I am now mind bogglingly sleep deprived.

1 comment: