Saturday, October 04, 2008

Faker

I'm finally getting to writing the Faker review...

They had a DJ of some sort as their first support. Since Crash and I don't get out too often together, we decided dinner at the Wazza was a better option. We got off our arses and got down to the Enmore for the next support act, Sparkadia. These guys have been talked up in a big way by Triple J, so I was prepared to give them a go. They are very poppy, which is not a bad thing by definition, but still it takes a bit to grab me in the world of pop. The best description I could come up with is that they remind me of Coldplay. The songs sound great, but after a minute or two you are wondering why they haven't finished yet. Very polished sound, just not interesting enough to make it to the end of the song. In the end I found myself snoozing during the latter half of most of the songs.

Faker are great. Lots of fun, very charismatic, energetic front man and the music is much better live than it is recorded. I don't mind their stuff in general, but I haven't been inspired to buy the album, it seems a bit same-ish. But live it all has much more of an edge, the stuff grabs you in a way the recorded versions don't.

I would thoroughly recommend these guys to anyone with any passing interest in Oz rock. It's very friendly, easy to come at music. They've been around for a while now, and it seems they are getting better. It will be interesting to see if they ever manage to capture the passion of the live set on an album - they could prove to be a great band if they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment