Sunday, September 26, 2010

Farewell Powderfinger

Powderfinger are among the latest to announce their disbanding and do a farewell tour. I will be utterly unsurprised when, in a few years, they announce their reunion tour, however, I was happy to go along to the farewell tour, because their last few albums have been a little dull, and I was keen to see a greatest hits show.

Jet were the support act. They sounded like Jet. It was really quite odd seeing them at the Entertainment Centre, it was all wrong.


Powderfinger are a technically brilliant band, but as @The_Ausmerican said on Twitter:
@shonias Powderfinger are so ... dry on stage! They sound like a recording!
I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, I rather like a band that sounds so tight live. The visuals kind of reflect the focus on the music.

Powderfinger's farewell tour


But they did have some pretty coloured lights.

Powderfinger's farewell tour

We were not in the best of seats, but we did have a great view of the packed house.

The crowd

They played a few songs from recent albums, which resulted in me singing "I like your old stuff better than your new stuff", but then they made me very happy:


This is one of my favourite Powderfinger songs ever. It was awesome.

Then there was the singalong bit. The compulsory Audience Participation. And Powderfinger did it right. (Unlike Jet, who chose a song nobody knew to get the audience to sing along to...)


There's no video for that, because it was very messy.

It was heaps of fun. They played stuff from all over their back catalogue, but I've always has a soft spot for Double Allergic, and so I was pretty chuffed when they played a second song from it.


I had a great night, and I'm looking forward to the reunion tour.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I've never heard Darren sing lead before, they didn't play that one in Perth. He has a nice voice doesn't he?

    The sound is a little better on your video. I was right down the front, under a tent in front of a speaker so it was a little more distorted.

    If you want to read my review it's here - www.blackcurrantphotography.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing about the Sydney Entertainment Centre is that the sound is awesome. I don't know why it's gone so much out of favour.

    Yeah, Darren does have a nice voice. I just adore that song. I'll go have a read.

    ReplyDelete