Sunday, May 23, 2010

Stupid Parents

We are stupid parents.

The weather in Sydney today was pretty miserable - cold and raining. As such, I couldn't face the kids' request for the swimming pool - even indoors it's unpleasant when you start out cold. They were desperate to go somewhere, and out of complete lack of inspiration we decided to take them to an indoor play centre we hadn't been to before.

We are stupid parents.

This place was grossly understaffed, over-booked with birthday parties (more than a dozen, although I didn't count), had very poor visibility and nowhere near enough tables. We should have decided to go elsewhere as soon as we arrived, but we were worried about how late it already was and had no obvious backup plan.

We are stupid parents.

We spent the afternoon counting the building code violations and refereeing arguments over the helicopter ride (that you had to pay for) that was next to us. There was one highlight though. I'm becoming something of a connoisseur of children's tantrums, and the little girl who screamed, "I don't want to die, please!" in response to being told that it was time to go home was definitely setting the tantrum bar high. (I didn't hear, but I'm assuming logic along the lines of "I'll die if I have to go home now"...)

I'm a bit hopeless when it comes to places to go when it's this miserable. We probably should have gone to the Powerhouse, it can't have been less pleasant. Beyond the Powerhouse, I'm at a bit of a loss, but this afternoon should provide some motivation to do some research for next time.

What are your fav wet weather outings for 2-7yr olds?



2 comments:

  1. Home...or your place :-) Not helpful I know

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. Yeah, staying at home requires a re-wire of my brain (and that of hubby), such that I can manage to co-ordinate kid-focussed activities rather than sitting on my arse knitting or some such and expecting the kids to amuse themselves.

    Granted, this would be a very useful re-wire - I was thinking this very thing whilst going slightly cocobananas at the play centre.

    ReplyDelete