Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hey look, good news!

This federal government is not all wine and roses, but they continue to surprise me in making genuine steps towards more open government. I was surprised when Gillard removed the gag on NGOs. I have now been surprised that improvements have been made to the FOI act, despite this government (ab)using the power they have just revoked aerlier this year. They have removed the ministers' power to refuse a FOI request because they believe it not to be in the public interest. This power made a mockery of FOI, and I am very glad to see it gone. Even better, it allows for previous blocks to be removed if applications are re-submitted. Better than expected.

I could rattle off all the things I hate about them, but it is nice to see that some of the political idealism they touted before the election has seen some action after it. I'll take my good news where it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment