Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Crisis of conscience

On Friday afternoon, Crash rescued a staffy (or staffy X) from outside our house. She was terrified and shaking, possibly having just had a close encounter with a car. He put her in the font yard and hoped that someone would come looking for her. This has happened before, but with a different dog. By nightfall, it was clear that no-one was going to find her that night, so he made her a bed on the front verandah, fed her and resolved to take her to a vet to get her microchip read the next day.

Saturday is swimming day, so by the time we had dealt with that and all the other little dramas, it was after lunch and the dog was still out the front. Our vet and any other close vet was closed for the day, but I found one in Five Dock that was open. So I loaded her into the car, listened to her cry piteously all the way there and took her in to have her microchip read. Only she didn't have one. So that means she was surrendered to the vet, and ultimately to Canada Bay Council.

She was a lovely dog, and if anyone is looking for her, they probably won't find her at Canada Bay, since we are between two other councils. I want to ring and find out if she has found her owners, but I don't know what to do if she hasn't. She seems like a beautiful dog, probably around the 5 years old mark. But I don't actually know her, and we have a nine month old baby. I literally have, potentially, two lives on the line. Obviously, all else being equal, I choose the baby over the dog, but that choice is based on a possibility of a problem, not the existence of one. I just don't know what to do. So I have not rung to find out. A wonderful ostrich approach to the whole situation. The fact that she doesn't have a microchip makes it all the worse. Arggggg.....

And in case you are wondering why I am so prolific today, that disease that Ben had on Sunday has moved on to me, Crash and Elissa (in that order), so I am cowering on the lounge reading and posting in small bursts. I am looking forward to all the kids coming home in about 10 minutes...

No comments:

Post a Comment