Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year

2008 calendars are officially out of date. 2009 is going to be a fantastic year. This year, the world is going to get to grips with the fact that we are all in this together. We're going to stop fighting amongst ourselves and turn some serious resources to renovating the planet, including some spectacular restoration work and some major upgrades in a number of areas. People are going to let bygones be bygones at a personal and global level. Guilt and anger will become localised emotional responses to single events and will no longer be a way of life for anyone. Life will substantially improve for everyone. No child will live in poverty. Oh wait, someone already said that.

This is what New Year is for, a brief moment to believe anything is possible. To really put last year in the past, to move on from the annus horribilis, or to build on last year's achievements with a fresh new perspective.

I don't have any idea where this year is going to go, either personally or globally. I feel like we're at a tipping point, and I don't know which way it is going to go. We've seen some historic and wonderful events, and we've watched other events repeat themselves ad infinitum to no-one's benefit. We've watched the financial sector implode, propped up only by central governments all over planet. I think that is a good thing. I just don't know whether we're going to drag ourselves forwards or backwards as we deal with all this change.

Our business has made some major progress in the last year, we've signed our first major contract and I've got in way over my head on some projects and managed to learn fast enough to keep up and make them work. 2009 will be the litmus test, we will either succeed or fail this year, I suspect. I think we can do it, we should be able to, but in any business you never know what things outside your control might change everything.

I don't know whether I am going to continue with uni, I just don't know if I will have time. I'll enroll and see what happens I suppose. Charlie starts pre-school, and I think he'll love it. Elissa has started the year on her feet, and I am looking forward to watching her grow up some more. Ben's in year 1 and on the brink of reading easily. Another joy to look forward to.

So I'm starting the year with insane optimism. Everything is going to work out well. Everyone is going to find in themselves the strength and energy and understanding we need to sort through the messes we have made. Because I really believe that unless we start with the assumption it will all work out, it really won't. And I'm going to make sure I get enough water, sleep and variety in my diet. That helps too.

Happy 2009. It'll be a blinder.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful year...or at least a peaceful, healthy, and safe one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insane optimism is a great way to start the year! I really think being optomistic sets the tone to all endeavours, and influences the way they work out. Good luck to all your family and all the big projects this year.

    ReplyDelete